The Consejo Regulador is the entity responsible for ensuring compliance with the Regulations of the Specific Denomination “Brandy de Jerez”.
Regulations of the Denomination set out the norms which must be adhered to by all those firms who wish to produce “Brandy de Jerez” and is approved by the Department of Agriculture and Fisheries of the Junta de Andalucia regional government and ratified by the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food.
The functions of the Consejo Regulador are set out in Article 26 of the Regulations:
Functions of the Consejo Regulador
- Guide, oversee and control the production and quality of those brandies protected by the Denomination
- Protect the prestige of the Denomination on both the home and foreign markets, preventing improper use
- Keeping the Production and Ageing Bodega Registers
- Issue certificates and issue or control guarantee stamps
- The direct and effective management of those taxes applicable under the Regulations and collection of any corresponding amounts, along with that of any sanctions which may have been imposed
- Market research pertaining to, and the promotion and advertising of, “Brandy de Jerez”
- Acting with full powers and with the legal capacity to commit itself and appear in court, both in Spain and abroad, exercising those actions corresponding to its mission of representing and defending the general interests of the Denomination
- Exercise those powers delegated by the Department of Agriculture and Fisheries of the Junta de Andalucia and other Authorities.
- Take disciplinary action in accordance with current legislation and the precepts of these Regulations
- Propose the budgets corresponding to the same and present them as stipulated for approval to the Department of Agriculture and Fisheries of the Junta de Andalucia
- Propose and present the annual general accounts of the Consejo to the Department of Agriculture and Fisheries of the Junta de Andalucia
- Be acquainted with and approve the Annual Report concerning the actions of the Consejo, forwarding the same to the Department of Agriculture and Fisheries of the Junta de Andalucia
- Those functions entrusted to it by the Department of Agriculture and Fisheries of the Junta de Andalucia
- Study issues of a general nature which may effect the production and sale of those brandies protected by the Denomination, proposing adequate solutions to the Authority concerned or providing any necessary technical advice
- Watch over the correct production of brandies and verify the stocks and quality of soleras, keeping updated records of the movements corresponding to each house
- Oversee the quality of brandy sold under the name of the Denomination, both in Spain and abroad, fighting fraud, mixing and deficient quality
- Keep production and sales statistics for the home and foreign markets, organizing market research and any economic studies deemed necessary
- Keep a register of and approve all labels used to market those brandies protected by the Denomination
- Propose to the competent Authorities those measures deemed necessary for the defence of quality, application of the Regulations, protection of those rights inherent to the Denomination, and development of marketing